Ontario Lifts Capacity Limits in Cinemas
Effective Saturday, October 9, 2021, at 12:01 a.m., capacity limits will be lifted to allow 100 per cent capacity in the cinemas in Ontario.
Existing public health safety measures continue to remain in effect for the cinema. This includes wearing face coverings, proof of vaccination, screening and the collecting of patron information to support contact tracing. In settings where capacity limits have been lifted, the requirement for individuals to maintain two metres of physical distancing are being removed.
Further information can be found on the Province of Ontario Newsroom website.
Vaccine Verification Requirements
The province of Ontario has made vaccinations mandatory for admission to various places that people gather, including cinemas like the Mayfair. This provincial policy goes into place on Wednesday, September 22nd.
Those 12 years and older will need to show a physical paper copy of their vaccination records, or a PDF/digital copy of their record showing that 14 days have passed since their second vaccine was administered (Wednesday, September 8th or prior). ID with name / date of birth matching the vaccination verification is also required.
For those under 12 years old, double-vaccination is not required.
In October there will be an app setup to make use of in association with this program.
If you have a medical-based exception in this situation, you can present a doctor’s note (along with I.D.)
Masks will continue to be required for everyone entering the cinema. You may remove your mask when seated and eating or drinking. We will still have extra hand sanitizer on hand, and social distance rules will still be in effect.
New members showing proof of vaccination will get one of our new membership cards. Existing members showing proof of vaccination will have their current cards swapped out for the new cards. This will make getting through the box office a bit quicker on return visits. (Those swapping out existing membership cards might even get a few extra months for free as an added thank you.)
For further information on COVID-19 vaccinations, please visit:
For further information on the vaccine verification requirements coming into effect on September 22nd, please visit:
Thank you for your continued support during these always complicated times!
As Ottawa moves into Stage 3 of its reopening, we’re excited to light up our big screen again, but we’re still taking the current situation very seriously, and we’ve taken a number of measures to help protect everyone’s health.
- We are requiring all patrons and staff to wear masks while entering and exiting the building, and while in any common areas.
- Once patrons are seated, they may remove their masks, if they wish, to eat and drink. If you are not eating or drinking, you must leave your mask on.
Enhanced sanitation and disinfection
- There will now be longer gaps between screenings, to enable us to thoroughly disinfect the cinema, using wipes, cleaners, and a special fogger.
- Our card payment devices, cash registers, ATM and other devices used by staff and the public are being sanitized regularly.
- Our staff is following suggested protocols to keep themselves and the public safe, with frequent hand-washing, regular use of sanitizers, and wearing gloves whenever needed.
- We’ve made soap and hand sanitizer readily available, and have increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfection for all high-traffic surfaces, before and after every screening.
- All patrons are asked to dispose of their own garbage at the end of each show.
Additional barriers and distancing measures
- We’ve installed plexiglas barriers in our candy bar.
- At the end of each screening, we ask that patrons use the closest of our four exits within the cinema.
- We have placed instructional signs and floor markers for physical distancing in lineups throughout the space.
When to come to the Mayfair, and when not to
- We’ve asked any staff who are feeling unwell to stay at home.
- Finally, in an effort to protect Ottawa movie-lovers, we kindly ask anyone who is not feeling well to please STAY HOME – come back another time, when you’re feeling better!
- Please take note that doors open 30 minutes before showtimes. We encourage people to arrive early. We have a small box office, a small candy bar, and a single-screen cinema, meaning that when most of an audience shows up a few minutes before showtime, it causes a bottleneck. If possible, we appreciate you arriving a little bit early to pick out your seat and get your popcorn. Thanks for your help!